In current times, people have a very stressful life. Whether it is what we have brought onto us deliberately or it is being forced onto us is a highly subjective issue. People have made their desires – a need, a way of living .It is important to differentiate a desire from a need. Needs of a human being are limited, desires cannot be fulfilled in one’s lifetime. You fulfil one another is already in-waiting. If man remembers certain mantras, he may be able to reduce his stress and lead a better life. Well, I think its easier said than done.
1. The foremost thing to contemplate is What kind of person do I want to be? Have a vision of yourself.
2. What do I really want to do in life? Apart from the job you do to earn a living.
We spend a large part of life talking about how big we are or what we can achieve.Think- is that what you want to be and do? Hence,
3.Life is not abou talking big. It is about understanding the smaller and finer issues of life.
4.It is important to like life with integrity. Killing your conscience to make money only works for a short while. In the long term it only leads to an unhappy soul that in-turn affects our body. Develop a sound character with a calm attitude, humility, respect and understanding.
5. Get into action: Only living for yourself is not enough. Dedicate some time to transforming lives of others-it gives you a reason to live and add to your good karma.
6.Don’t live a life to please others, do things that give you happiness. When you retire at night you must be convinced that it was a day well lived.
7.Do not give up because life is difficult, your problems may be very small as compared to your neighbour’s. You are like a ball, and no ball has never reached its goal without being kicked.
Also Read : 8 Points of focus for Peace of Mind
8.Perseverance: Success is not easy it comes to those who believe in themselves. Keep working at your dreams even when you are very tired and do it happily without a grudge.
8. Be child-like and not childish. Observe toddlers, their curiosity, their joy at finding something new, their laughter on the slightest pretext, their ability to forgive and forget. Associating yourself with the children and youth always makes you feel younger. Reading stories to children talking to them all helps.
9. Make it a habit to follow at least one virtues of Benjamin Franklin everyday.He was one of the Founding Fathers of America, virtually a self-taught man and a great philosopher, wrote the below mentioned framework at the age of 20 years.
a)Temperance: Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
b)Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
c)Order: Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
d)Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
e)Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
f)Industry: Lose no time; be always employ’d in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
g)Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
h)Justice:Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
i)Moderation: Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
j)Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, clothes, or habitation.
k)Tranquillity: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
l)Chastity: use for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another’s peace or reputation.
m)Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates.
Lets begin by starting with changing at least one habit of our’s !
Dr. Vijayalaxmi Rajasekharan